Elle TENS & Elle TENS Plus Machine - What is TENS?
What is a TENS Machine?
The Labour TENS unit is an advanced, small, battery powered device, which sends a pulsed electrical stimulus via pads to the skin.
Can I use an ordinary TENS machine during Labour & Birth?
▪ Drug free system for pain control
▪ Quick & effective pain relief
▪ Easy to use, light weight and portable
▪ Does not cause drowsiness
▪ Can be used for as long as pain relief required
▪ Boost mode for when contractions are really intense
▪ Can be used at home, hospital or birth centre
▪ Can be used with other methods / prescribed drugs
▪ Non invasive
▪ You're still able to walk and move about
How does a TENS machine work?
▪ Releases your body's own pain relieving hormones (beta-endorphin)
▪ Disrupts pain messages going to your brain ('gate control theory')
▪ Gives you a sense of control and allows you to focus on something outside your discomfort
What do you feel when you use TENS machine in labour?
· A pleasant tingling sensation on the skin where the pads are placed.
When do I start using the Labour TENS machine?
· It is recommended that you start using your TENS at home right from the beginning of labour. Early use of the TENS machine promotes the body's production of beta-endorphin.
Can I practice using the TENS machine before my labour starts?
When to use or not use TENS machine?
However there are a few precautions:
▪ Do not use over broken or desensitised skin
▪ Do not use before 37 weeks unless approved by your healthcare practitioner
▪ Do not use TENS machine if you have a pacemaker
▪ Seek advice from doctor if you have epilepsy
▪ Do not use if you have any doubts before talking to your LMC or a healthcare practitioner
I would like a water birth – can I use the TENS machine?
Can I use a TENS machine when my baby needs to be monitored continuously in labour?
Can I use a TENS machine after the birth, for General Pain relief or for Pelvic Toning?
Yes, many women find TENS machine very good at helping with 'afterpains' which are more common if you've had a baby before.
TENS machine is also useful at relieving:
▪ shoulder pain associated with breastfeeding
▪ menstrual pain
▪ back pain
▪ post-operative pain following a caesarean section